Our motto: "Bridging the gap to a brighter future"
In June 2011, we completed construction of a new school! This is a huge accomplishment for the whole village and for all of you who contributed to these efforts - thank you SO much! Click here to see more pictures.
- May 2011: click here (lamlingvista.shutterfly.com) for a photo-album with recent pictures of Lamling Vista School
- January 2011: click here for a letter from Kate and Venyei.
- January 2010: click here for a letter from Kate and Venyei.
After growing up in India and moving to the United States at age 26 to settle down with his fiancé, Venyei Angshing felt something tugging at his heart from back home. How could he be living amongst such materialism and comfort when there was so much need amongst his people? He and his wife, Kate, decided the first and most important way to give back would be to build a school, to get the children out of the fields and into the classroom, for a minimal cost to them. This local school would allow children living away from Yongam in boarding schools, like Venyei’s youngest brother, to come back home and be with the family while they are growing up. So they got to work right away and began setting money aside each month. Things just began to fall into place:
August 2008 – Venyei and Kate were married, the idea for a school was born
November 2008 – A volunteer school board of directors was formed by the local village leaders
December 2008 – parents made additions and expansions to existing abandoned school house
January 2009 – Textbooks bought, teachers hired, registration began
February 2nd 2009 – First day of school!
February 2010: K6 and an 8th teacher are added
January 2011: Construction of new school started
June 2011: Construction of new school completed!
- Grades: K-6
- Language: English
- Teachers: 8 (math/science, social studies, general education)
- Students enrolled: 150
- Cost to students: $1 registration fee
Nagaland is a state in Northeast India and home to 16 tribes, with a population of approximately 1.6 million people. It is an exotic mountainous region full of natural resources and fertile soil, with unimaginable beauty and rich culture. These Indo-Mongoloid people are extremely warm-hearted and hospitable, existing in a secluded, tension-free world. Despite their many struggles and setbacks, they are some of the happiest people on Earth.
Yongam, home to the Phom tribe, is a small remote village in Nagaland with a population of approximately 1,000 people. Lamling Vista is located in the center of Yongam and has begun to make a huge difference in the lives of the children there through providing basic education. Without an elementary foundation to start with, children would undoubtedly slip into a lifetime of working in the fields with no chance of chasing their dreams. Lamling Vista offers these children a springboard from their poor remote village into a world of limitless possibilities!
The teachers at the Lamling Vista School (2013)
Accomplishments & current activities
- During its initial years, the school building was made of bamboo and thatched leaves and not expected to last very long. Therefore we raised funds and constructed a new school of more durable materials! Constructions was completed in June 2011.
- The subjects are taught in English medium, and include Math, Science, English, History and Social Science for grades 1-6, and rhymes and general knowledge for kindergarten students.
- Each year, the parents become increasingly invested in their children's education. For example, they hold regular parent meetings to discuss any issues or ideas. They have also been willing to pay for things that we cannot fund 100%, for example the parents agreed that if we purchased new textbooks for the students, they would pay for half of the cost. This is important because it means they are beginning to own the education of their children, and gives us hope that they will continue to educate their children beyond elementary school.
- In 2013, we were able to start a computer class.
SUPPORT LAMLING VISTA
YOU can be a part of the exciting educational progress happening in Yongam, India! Below are some of the many projects we wish to complete, pending proper funding. Pick a project or area in which you wish to support and watch your dollars make a difference!
- Construction of new school: Target : $3,000
- 8 Teachers' salaries: $590 per month
- Storage cabinets: $50 per piece
- Textbooks: $500
- Miscellaneous school supplies
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
In the USA, tax-deductible contributions can be made via Sahaya International, our fiscal sponsor (tax ID 68-0434770). Please send your check, made payable to "Sahaya International" with mention of Lamling Vista to:
Kate and Venyei Angshing
5515 Celebration Street
Sacramento CA 95835
Other ways you can help:
- Donate used school supplies
- Participate in "10 for 10 by 2010!"
- Visit sahaya.org/lamlingvista.html and spread the word!
Thank you for your support!
Kate and Venyei visiting the old school in April 2009